Oven Roasted Giant Meatballs
These meatballs are easy to make and they’re so delicious. There’s just something so wonderful about about tomatoes, cheese and ground meat. I know it’s not the healthiest thing to eat, but sometimes you want a meal that feels like a warm blanket.
3 lbs of ground beef (you can use dark turkey meat too)
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs (if you have plain ones just add some oregano and a little garlic powder)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Fresh basil: 6-8 leaves chopped
3 large tomatoes
Shredded mozzarella (1-2 cups, depends on how cheesy you like things)
Salt & pepper
Italian Seasoning (you can use dried basil and oregano too)
Preheat your oven to 350 F.
1. Combine ground meat, eggs and bread crumbs. Mix in the parm cheese.
2. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt & pepper and italian seasoning. If I had to estimate, I’d say about a tablespoon of garlic and italian seasoning, and a teaspoon each of salt and pepper. I just sprinkle it over the top until it feels right. Mix until well combined. Roll into large meatballs, about the size of a tennis ball.
3. Put some breadcrumbs in a shallow dish or on a plate and roll your meatballs in the breadcrumbs.
4. Warm some olive oil (a tablespoon or 2) in a skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Fry your meatballs until well browned on all sides. Transfer your meatballs to a baking dish.
5. Cut up your tomatoes into large chunks and squeeze them over the meatballs to release the juice. Then throw the tomato pieces on top of your meatballs. Season the tops of the meatballs with a little salt and pepper if you like, I’m a seasoning kind of gal.
6. Sprinkle mozzarella over the top and add the chopped basil. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Just go with what feels right to you.
7. Bake for approximately 20 minutes until cooked through but still juicy.
You can serve them with a tossed salad or a side of pasta.